May 25, 2017

How Does My Family Put Up With Me?


It was eight years ago when I took my husband up on his suggestion that he now, no doubt, regrets. 

He said, “When you’re not working, you have your nose stuck in a book. Why don’t you write one yourself? 

I thought, “Sure. Why not? I’ll give it a try.” 


The initial draft of my first book was completed three years later. And the reason it took so long is because I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Thank God for online writing groups and low-cost classes.

Every moment I wasn’t engaged with my family (which was anytime I wasn’t personally involved in whatever was happening), they would find me in one of my two son’s bedrooms. I didn’t have a computer of my own, but we made sure the spawn each had one. 

Flash drives are this writer’s best friend, next to gin and tonic. If seclusion were an option for me, I’d add that, too. However, I’ve found the dispensing of the Evil Eye, along with a pissed-off hiss, often did the trick when disturbed in the midst of creative genius.


I don’t know how my husband and two boys put up with me. 

Five years later, I’m still cranking out stories, taking the Hub's suggestion to heart. I finally earned my own laptop and moved my writing location to where it’s centralized and I can keep an eye on things.  

“I said, 'write one book', not an entire seriesor three.” ß Oh come on, babe! Where’s the fun in that?


If you’re gonna do it, go big! Right?

An office of my own would be ideal. 
But I’ll have to write a few more books before that happens.


5 comments:

  1. Ha! My husband made the same *mistake*, too! I'll have to try the Evil Eye. I'm doing the pissed off intake of breath now, with little to no results. I need a better weaponry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have kids, you might have a Nerf gun laying around. The type that shoots foam bullets. Those have been effective for me as well. Good luck, Viviana!

      Delete
  2. Lol- fabulous post - wondered how you got into writing and glad you did.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daryl. Like many habits, it all started with a dare.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful insight, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my romantic world - I look forward to your comment!